Social and emotional learning has positive outcomes for student engagement, achievement, resilience and mental health.
ELVA (Enhancing Emotional Literacy through Visual Arts) is an evidence based professional learning approach for primary school teachers using the visual arts to develop student social and emotional learning competencies. Teachers engage in hands-on experiential art making activities and develop an understanding of neuroscience, psychodynamic theory, therapeutic arts, trauma-informed practice and student wellbeing. Through this approach, teachers develop confidence in establishing and maintaining safe, supportive learning environments and gain greater understanding of students and themselves, strengthening relationships and developing emotionally literate students.
- Is suitable for Classroom teachers, Wellbeing leaders, Visual Arts teachers, and School leaders.
- Fits comfortably alongside existing arts and wellbeing programs and can be delivered in a format suited to the needs and culture of individual schools
- Develops empathy and respect by providing opportunities for students to express their own emotions, emotional responses and experiences through visual arts.
- Creates a starting point for discussing diverse views and experiences.
- Aligns with DET Education State targets and the Australian and Victorian curriculums
- Has been evaluated through The University of Melbourne as having positive impacts on teachers, students, parents and the broader school
- 2017 VicHealth Award finalist in the category of ‘Building Health Through Art’.
- Acknowledges the support of the Department of Education Training, Victoria, through the Strategic Partnerships Program.
The ELVA program is delivered over 12 months. There are 6 full day sessions. Attendance at all training dates is essential.
Next ELVA Program
There is currently no ELVA program scheduled for 2020/2021. If you would like to register your interest in attending the ELVA training program please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, email and best contact number and we will keep you up to date with future ELVA opportunities.